European Excellence Center for Invasive Fungal Infections
Invasive fungal infections are emergencies. They are difficult to diagnose and the treatment is complicated. The number of specialists who deal with these rare infections is very limited.
Around 50 fungal families of several thousand fungi cause disease in patients. The single pathogen is rare, but when infection occurs, the patient's life depends on rapid diagnosis and treatment initiation.
The European Confederation of Medical Mycology (ECMM), the umbrella organization of 28 national mycology societies, awards European Centers of Excellence so that specialists for invasive fungal infections may be found more easily. In Germany, this center was opened with a symposium at Cologne University Hospital in October 2017.
We are specialists from various disciplines who work very closely together in diagnosis and treatment of invasive fungal infections.
Participating clinics and institutes of the Cologne University Hospital
- Diagnosis and treatment of in-patients and out-patients
- Coordination of the diagnosis and therapy teams
- Scientific advice to physicians from home and abroad
- Access to the most modern diagnostic test procedures
- Access to the most modern drugs within studies
- Development of new diagnostic tools (CECAD Translational Plattform, CMMC, Microbiology)
- Development of new therapies
- Research into the worldwide spread of fungi and especially resistant pathogens
- Active international collaboration with currently 85 countries
- Clinical trials at the Cologne University Hospital, in Germany (FungiResearch), Europe (ECMM, EHA) and worldwide (FungiScope®)
The scientific expertise of the University Hospital Cologne only supports the physicians concerning the treatment planning.
Physicians who make use of the scientific expertise of the University Hospital Cologne remain solely and fully responsible for the treatment of their patients.
The services of University Hospital of Cologne’s physicians are subject to German law, excluding the conflict of laws provisions.